Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"stuff"

I've been re-arranging things in the office (for the business) and the living room (because I'm stupid). I got rid of one of the bookcases in the office, the other I'll use for supplies. I gave away a ton of books through Freecycle (the best way to get rid of good "stuff" ever invented) and moved everything I wanted to keep into the new bookcase in the living room.

First I should mention that I'm a piler. When I have "stuff" and I don't know what to do with it, I put it in a pile. Piles of piles everywhere. I don't know how to get out of that really crappy habit so I'm forever surrounded by piles of "stuff".

While cleaning out the bookcase, I found a couple of... wait for it... piles. I started going through the piles and made 4 piles out of them ('cuz that's what you do when you're a piler...) - recycle, throw away, put away & examine further. I dealt with the first 3 and went back to the 4th. I found 3 old address/date books. I wondered why the heck I kept them since I'm sure none of the numbers are good anymore. One of them was so old it didn't have area codes. (Remember when we didn't have to dial an area code for the same city?)

I started looking through them and remembered why I never threw them away - memories. Looking back through some of the names, I was remembering the people and wondering how they're doing. Some of them I still know and still talk to, most, however, I don't.

I found a datebook from 2000. If you asked me what I did in 2000 I'd look at you with a blank stare. How the hell would I, who has the worst memory in the world, remember anything about the year 2000? That's why I kept them.

I was dating John in the beginning of 2000 but apparently we broke up that year because I started dating Jim in August. Glen & Elissa's annual BBQ was on August 27th that year. Mario & Cathy had a BBQ on May 28th. Glen & Elissa were married on June 3rd. I saw Kiss in concert on June 13th - 2nd row center seats baby - that rocked! I saw Ichabod and Tree on September 22nd. Every week there was something written - some band I saw, a night out with the girls, even what days I worked.

I rescued and placed the following dogs: Rhythym, Blues, Petie, Zeek, Max, Freddy (not my Freddie), Regis, Roxy, Captain, Duke Nuken, Ludo, Duke, Dino, Spanky, Lady, Tramp, Rex, Shelby, Seven, Bao Bao, Joey, Willy, Dallas, Sadie, Tilly, Mr. Peabody, Rosie, Mork, Mindy, Thor, Baby, Honey, Lucky, Frasier, Buzz, Pixie, Dixie, Scotty, Gracie, Janey, Sundance, Kid, Elvis, Dudley, Lucy and Max.

I don't have a place for these things but I guess I'll have to make one. Memories are kind of cool so I guess not all "stuff" is bad.

D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have pictures of Rhythym & Blues (they stayed at my house for a bit with Beanie, either you were overcrowded or I was bored.) And I remember you dating John - You've a great pic of Scootchie perched on his shoulder in a vehicle somewhere. Time sure flies ! Hey - post a pic of the candy-apple hair - Can't wait to see it.

Eastcoastdweller said...

My Sweetie is laughing at this very moment, because I am an incorrigible piler, too.

Newspaper clippings, mostly. For FLOW and my other blogs, and miscellanious information about the world.

And I am utterly incapable of getting rid of a book. Unless I find a better quality version of the same volume to replace it.

Dawn said...

Kim - I'm not surprised at all that you still have a picture of R & B! I can just imagine what pile of datebooks you have! Of course, yours are probably labeled nicely in a hermetically sealed tote. :p

What to come and organize my house? lol

ECD - I'm glad I could give Sweetie a good laugh. It's good to know I'm not alone in the world with this piling habit!

Right now I have a pile of books that don't fit into the bookcase that I need to find a home for. I don't know why I am unable to recycle them or use them for kindling, but I'm not. sigh...