Thursday, October 27, 2005

My owl is back!!!!

While sitting here on the computer, I heard a familiar hooting sound coming from the back yard. Bubo the owl is back!

Some history: When I first moved into this house a little over a year ago, my first encounter with nature (not normally known to a concrete city) was with a Great Horned Owl. After reading about them online, I named my owl Bubo; the latin word for Owl (and a great flashback to my Clash of the Titans movie days.)

In the spring of this year, I was working from home one day and I heard birds sqawking all morning in front of my house. I looked outside a few times, but couldn't figure out what they were so irritated at. Later in the day I was leaving for an appointment and when I backed my car out of the driveway, I saw him. Bubo, relaxing on my lawn, leaning up against the lattice on the side of my front stairs. Now, I'm not sure if Bubo is male or female, but I like to think he's male.

It was one of the most beautiful animals I've ever seen. He had beautiful rust/brown mottled markings and the telltale tufted ears. He had the biggest most amazing eyes I've seen in an animal. And he was HUGE! Bubo was easily the size of 2 of my dogs put together.

I stopped the car and got out. I stood there and stared while he watched me for a bit and then turned his attention to the birds that were dive bombing him. I must've stayed there for 10 mins. or so wondering what to do. Owls don't come out in daylight! And they certainly don't take a nap on your front lawn! So I assumed that he was hurt or something and tried to think of someone to call. I dropped my phone, which must've startled him because he took off and headed away from my property.

I haven't heard from Bubo since then, so I thought he might have perished. But I'm happy to report that he's back and in full hooting mode! Interestingly enough, I just read that owls take over nests - one of the them being a hawks nest. So I wonder, do my owl and hawk just switch when the seasons turn?

Ok, off to a town meeting! (and then homework...ugh)

D

No comments: