Sunday, October 16, 2005

rain, rain go away....

What a crappy week. Just a scant week ago (or so), the weather was beautiful - sunny, warm (high 70's), and absolutely wonderful. This past week (or so), it's been nothing but cold (50's-60's), rainy & crappy. I don't think I'm ready for fall! Ok, I'm really just not ready for winter is what it comes down to - I hate being cold!

On top of a crappy week of weather, Millie got stung/bit by something and became my lumpy, bumpy bumpkin. Her eyes were swollen shut, her left jowel was swollen, she had hives all over the place... What a scare to come home to. She didn't even look like my dog! After I panicked, I gave her some Benadryl, which didn't do too much at all. Thankfully she was better the next day and now looks like her old self. :)


Today, I planned on planting some bulbs in the front of the house. I got a bunch yesterday and shared them with my friend Ellin, whom I visited with yesterday. Bulbs to plant: large white crocus, small botanical mixed color crocus, spring green tulips, skagit valley tulips, queen of the night tulips (they're so cool looking! Such a deep purple they look black), pink double tulips, red parrot tulips, large white hyacinths, small grape hyacinths, and ixiolirion, or, Mountain Lilies as they're also known as. But, I'm waiting for a potential home to come and see Snoop so that will have to wait for a bit. Hopefully it'll be a bit warmer later as well!

I mentioned visiting with Ellin yesterday. It's one of my zen places; good friends, good food, a fire in the fireplace, incredible conversation, and a relaxed environment. I went down with Millie, so she could play with Floyd, Ellin's dog, and to just hang out. She made dinner, the name I've forgotten (Beef Burgundy?), but it was a dish that cooked all day in a crockpot - meat, carrots, onions, and mushrooms that was served over rice. Delicious! We hung around in front of the fire talking about this or that with Joe (her husband) and we hit upon some fascinating topics of morality in today's society. It's interesting to hear what people think of the way society, and more specifically, our children, are evolving. The technology age that we're in has changed how things are done and I have to stop and wonder if it's for the better. I never hear words like honor or respect bandied around anymore, unless we're talking about the lack of it in society. Why is that? Since when has honor become anathema and isn't taught? Long ago, a family's honor was everything. Now, there isn't such a thing. Respect is pretty much non-existent (from my experiences.) We don't respect each other, so how can our kids grasp such a concept if it's not learned by example? I don't know. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced that our current complacent, "not-my-fault" society is allowing the US to go to pot and I don't think we're actually aware of it.

And of the few of us that see this isn't the direction we should be heading, we ask ourselves "What can I do?" If I can ever answer that question succinctly, I'll write a book. Included will be a chapter on morality and values; how they've disappeared from everyday life and how to get them back again. Some day.....

Until then, I'll go on with my life, trying to do what I can where I can. I'll start by planting my bulbs. :)

D

No comments: