Thursday, February 23, 2006

Blew a vein...

Damn. I had an appt. to donate platelets today (I'll go into that in a bit), and everything was going fine until they started doing my right arm. Apparently they put the needle in too far and it was under my vein or some such nonsense. So, they weren't able to get diddly out of me today because they blew the vein. Bummer.

If you haven't heard about it - apheresis, or, platelet donation is a form of donating blood without actually giving them the blood part, to put it very simply. What they do is take your blood, put it through this machine that separates the whole blood from the plasma & platelets, mix your blood with saline, and then give it back to you. It's used for a number of reasons, but most importantly, it's given to people that can't chance or handle getting whole blood - really sick people.

I found out about it a year or so ago at a company blood drive. They had pamphlets and a sign up form there, so I did it. I've always wondered why they don't advertise it more. Sure, it takes a *lot* longer than just giving blood, but there's such a need for it. I did ask one of the nurses a long time ago and she said it was because so few people can actually be platelet donors. There are so many factors that have to be taken into account that not everyone can make the cut. I'd strongly suggest trying though. If you are healthy, have good veins, and didn't do too many stupid things in your youth, you have a shot at it.

I keep at it for a couple of reasons. First, it's a way for me to 'give back', so to speak. I feel good knowing that I'm helping people. Second, I'm a double donor, which is fairly rare. In one sitting, I donate the same amount that one person would need two sittings for, or the same amount that two people give in one hour. Since there's such a need (I'm talking *really* sick people), how could I possibly stop? Please try it...

Ok, off my soap box for the moment. :) I have to head over to Sue's house for the Pampered Chef party...yay. But first, homework!

D

No comments: