Saturday, May 6, 2006

Garbage

I'm the type of person that, when I find new music I like, or am in the mood for something particular, I play it *allllllll* the time. The latest obsession is the last album from Garbage - Bleed Like Me. That's all I've listened to for the last 2 weeks and it's still going strong.

I'm listening to 'Metal Heart' as I type, again, singing at the top of my lungs (which I'm my neighbors appreciate at 6:30 in the morning.) I like Garbage for a number of reasons. I'm a big fan of strong female role models - we need more of them. Girls that are going to be themselves and not apologize for not fitting into society's ideal of what they should be, look like, or act. I also love their music. They've created music that makes me move when I hear it. I can't help it - it's catchy. And then there are the lyrics. Shirley doesn't pull any punches with what she writes. At one point or another in my life, I can relate to most of what she's written (ok, not cherry lips - I've never been a guy wanting to be a girl, but I know people that have.) My latest favorite chorus from her is:

Now that we know for sure they're telling lies
when they say noone gets hurt
and therefore nobody dies
you know it's hard to believe anything that you hear
they say the world is round

That probably means different things to different people. Maybe you're reading this questioning my sanity, who knows. But I can relate, and I agree, and I like it, and it's my blog so I can write whatever I want. :)

Anyway, I'm off to my flyball tourney, but thought I'd throw my appreciation out there for a band I've been a fan of for years and years that doesn't get the credit I feel they deserve. :)

D

No comments: