Thursday, April 3, 2008

Freddie's new theme song...

Freddie has a new theme song. I'll explain why and what in a bit.

Last night I made the phone call I wasn't really looking forward to. I spoke to my team captain and let her know that I made the decision to switch flyball teams. If everyone agrees, I will stay on Weston until after our tournament and will switch over to NET after that, at the end of July.

It wasn't the easiest decision to make. I love all the people on my team and we have a lot of fun when we're together. Ideally it would've made my life so much easier if the two teams had just merged. Then I could have the best of both worlds - I could be with all the people I want to, meet my goals for me and my dogs, and be as competitive as I want without leaving anyone behind.

But alas, life is very rarely like that.

You've probably read about my obsession with Freddie in the breed specific standings at one point or another. There aren't as many Miniature Pinschers in the sport of flyball as there are of, say, Border Collies. The potential for me to do some really cool things with him are incredibly high.

That is my main reason for making the decision. Right now there aren't any Min Pins who have received the Flyball Grand Champion title for 30,000 points. If Freddie gets it, he'll be the first Min Pin and go down in flyball history as such. That is so appealing to me it's not even funny. If we did accomplish that, he'd also be number 1.

The chances of that happening with my current team aren't good. We don't have set teams in order to share the wealth. I agree with that and think it's the right thing to do in order to be fair. It just isn't conducive to me achieving my goals. I can't ask for there to be set teams, that isn't fair to anyone else, nor would I want to change the dynamics of the team like that. That's not what WW is about and I respect that. It just doesn't fit since my goals have changed.

On top of that, Freddie will be 10 years old this year. He'll compete in flyball until his last breath because that's what does it for him and I won't take it away if I can help it. That just means I don't have the 5 years it's taken to get him as far as he's come. I need to step it up triple time. Now.

The other, lesser reason is for me. I want to increase *my* skills. I want to know how to make crazy scary passes. I want to have really, really good start times. I want to be bang on. I now have a dog that I can do that with to an extreme degree and that's what I want to do. I want to be better.

I will admit that I am a tad bit more competitive than I used to be. Just a tad tho'. :p I'm still not ready for A team. I keep asking for a Z team but I don't think they're gonna give it to me. D team would work. :)

Anyway, so Freddie now has a theme song, Korn's song It's On! I was going to use that for Tweak's freestyle song (if we even get to do freestyle...) but it fits Freddie better right now. Now he's going to walk into a tourney saying Bring it! hahaha

I am sad and excited at the same time. One chapter ending as another is on the brink of beginning in the book of life.

D

No comments: