Friday, April 14, 2006

I think I'm addicted

I'm not sure how this addiction snuck up on me. I truly wasn't expecting it and I'm not sure what to think about it. Sure, there are worse things to be addicted to, certainly. But I think I'm going to have to search the web for a self-help group or something. I know for a fact there are others like me out there. Have they ever realized they might have a problem?

What I'm really hoping is that it's just a phase and I'll grow out of it shortly. However, I really don't think that's the case, no matter how much I'd like to deceive myself. Everytime I turn around I'm thinking about them. How beautiful they are. How soft and fragile. I want to touch them but I never do because I think I'll ruin them. And the worst part about it is, it's my own fault.

They say that admitting you have a problem is the first step... right? Well, here goes nothing. I'm addicted to growing things. There I said it. Surprisingly enough, I don't feel better acknowledging it. Oh what is wrong with me?! lol I love planting bulbs. I'm thrilled to start seeds indoors even though I murder all of them usually. I can't wait to have the planter overflowing with herbs that I'll hardly ever use in cooking I rarely do. :) Ok, I do eat the chives a lot, but I never touch Chamomile or Oregano! And what am I going to do with Sage? Nothing! But I love that I had a hand in their growing. I love that I planted half of this stuff from seed and I get results. Did I mention I'm probably going to add Lavender to it? Or that I'm itching to get a tomato plant? Sigh. Certainly this means I have a problem.

Ok, so I was thinking about the garden again today (like everyday - I'm embarrassed to admit I walk around looking at everything before I leave in the morning and again when I get home) and I decided that I don't have enough color for the summer. So far the spring crop is doing very well. I'm quite happy with my results and I look forward to seeing what else will pop out of the ground. Today one of my parrot tulips bloomed and I was so filled with happiness it was ridiculous. See? I need help! :) But oh my is it gorgeous.

Anyway, since I didn't have enough color for the summer (mind you, I still have to get bulbs of flowers that will come up in the fall), I decided to take a ride to pick up a few. A few ended up being 85 bulbs and tubers, and a few plants. Again, now you see why I need help. :) This time around, I got a blue climbing Phlox plant, a red & white Columbine plant (clearly the most intriguing flower I have), some other plant that I can't remember the name of, Cannas, Freesias, tall blue Phlox, more Daylilies, a few Calla Lilies, a couple of Clematis and a ton of Gladiolus (pastel and a brilliant orange). Oh, and I got some Dill seeds for the planter garden. Yes, another herb that I'll have no idea what to do with. I'm a sick, sick chick. :)

My friend Donna is coming over tomorrow with her dogs so we can work on web stuff, and now, do some (ok, a ton of) gardening. Thankfully she has more than a clue and will steer me in the right direction as far as placement and grouping goes. I felt guilty so I called and gave her a heads up rather then having her show up and surprising her with 85 bulbs. :) She agrees that I need serious help.... And she has both a flower garden and a vegetable garden!

But now, I have to go give in to my sickness and start plucking the seeds out of the Basil pods so I can start those tomorrow as well. Considering I've only done 3 levels of one branch and I have about 35 seeds already, I think I have a long night in front of me. :) Anyone want some Italian, purple basil? :)

D

No comments: