Wednesday, May 2, 2007

current events

When it comes to current events, what's going on in the world as a whole, I'm clueless. Seriously. I'm a complete idiot and know zilch. Short of a super huge tragedy or something that people are really passionate about, I know nothing.

I don't read the paper. Nor do I watch the news. Negativity at it's finest. I used to, but not anymore. I used to come home from work and read the paper while I ate dinner. Not now. I made a choice a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away that I didn't need to know it.

I jumped on Boston.com this morning to check the weather and looked at the latest headlines. Let's see what little gems are out there:

Lawful incest may be on its way (a game the whole family can play)
Ex-MIT dean never cited actual degree (ironic)
Fire closes bridge, T stop (destruction)
Tirades, tantrums, and tiffs (hollywood stars acting normal - shocking)
Bush vetoes troop withdrawal bill (asshole)
911 call played in NYC sex-assault trial (crime in NY? unheard of)
Lawmakers ask feds to share data on guns (illegal guns are fine, lawful owners aren't)
51 civilians killed in Afghan fighting (death and destruction)
Teacher cleared in urination dispute (what?)
FDA: Tainted feed minor threat to humans (who cares if the animals eat it?)

Now of course I picked articles that sounded bad. I'll even admit there was one story that kinda made me smile - the elderly having a prom. Other than that, nothing there really gives me the warm and fuzzies. I can't read that stuff and think "It's great to be alive! I can't wait to start my day!" I will also admit that the pages weren't littered with drive-by shootings in JP & Dorchester like they were when I decided to stop being an informed citizen. Maybe things have changed. Drive-by shootings or war. Hmmm.... Maybe they haven't.

So I'm an idiot and I'm going to stay that way until I decide the media has stopped focusing on the sensational and crappy.

I'd rather focus on how cute the puppy is. Or how wonderful Millie is with teaching her how to play right. Or how Pacie gets her energy out by bombing around the yard. Or how Freddie is getting her interested in tennis balls. :) I'd rather focus on what great friends I have, what smart, funny, intelligent people are in my life. How great my life is (even though I've been known to bitch at times.) There's enough bad stuff out there and I have a choice to bring it into my life or ignore it.

There are countless arguments against my reasoning, I know that. If you want to debate them, shoot me a note - I'm always up for a good debate! But, it's what works for me, at least so far, so I'm sticking to it until it doesn't work for me anymore.

Thank you, drive through. :)

D

No comments: