Wednesday, June 4, 2008

conversion update...

Well, I learned something new today! I'm a good sharer. I like to share. So I'm sharing what I learned.

The conversion formula is °F = °C x 9/5 + 32 or, in reverse, °C = (°F - 32) X 5/9. At least according to http://meteo.gc.ca/mainmenu/faq_e.html#weather11 anyway.

Another formula, referred to as the "simple" formula is °F = 1.8x°C + 32 and °C = (°F-32) /1.8.

In order to simplify it even further I've created another formula, which is what I'll keep in my head and will be close enough to give me an idea.

°F = °Cx2 + 25 and °C = °F-25 / 2

I can't really do the Cx1.8 thing in my head so 2 will work. The disclaimer on my "easy to remember" formula is that the result will be +- up to 10 degrees F or C.

It appears the low and high end of the spectrum has the most variance, for example:

°C = 5

°F = 5x2 + 25
°F = 10 + 25
°F = 35

(The real conversion is 41 - off by 6 degrees)

°C= 30

°F = 30x2 + 25
°F = 60 + 25
°F = 85

(The real conversion is 86 - off by 1 degree)

°C = 55

°F = 55x2 + 25
°F = 110 + 25
°F = 135

(The real conversion is 131 - off by 4 degrees)

So, it's not perfect, but I'll be able to remember it (I hope.)

Plus, I really don't need to know the *exact* temperature. I'm trying to determine whether or not I should pack jeans and sweatshirts or shorts and tank tops. For that purpose, it's close enough. :)

D

No comments: