Thursday, July 13, 2006

Baby shower

I did indeed spend yesterday's lunch hour running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. But, I was able to do both errands so it was worth it. I claimed cheese & crackers for the shower and stopped by Whole Foods to pick them up. Whole Foods is a great store, but they never have any name brands I recognize. :) I kinda overdid it on the cheese but whatever; variety is the spice of life. :)

I left work at 4:30pm so I could get home by 5:00pm and spend some time with the kids before leaving at 5:30pm to pick up Holly and head down to Cindy's. The best laid plans....sigh. What actually happened was: I left work at 4:30pm, sat in traffic for an hour and got home at 5:35pm. I let the kids out to do their business and shoved them back in the crates around 5:55pm - Did I mention we were supposed to be at Cindy's at 6:00pm? Yeah, that didn't happen. I got to Holly's at 6:10pm, drove through torrential downpours doing 30mph, and got to Cindy's at I don't even know what time. Thankfully Susan & Phil weren't there yet so it was all good. We decorated in a hurry while Cindy wrapped my present for me and Kate cut up the cheese. Boy did she put out a good display!

So we had fun sitting around eating, talking, and laughing - like normal. :) I'm not sure where this came from, but we sat around writing funny sayings on diapers to put into the wishing well. Apparently it's supposed to give the parents a sense of humor while changing them at 2:00am. I'm getting more and more convinced that I'm being kept around for comic relief but that's ok. :) There were 4 babies and 2 three-year-olds running around having fun. The babies weren't running, they were laying around. I think I'm really used to holding kids without feeling like I'm going to break them now too. My cousin was right, I'm going to be all experienced by the time her kid comes around later this year. :)

Next thing I knew, it was 10:30pm and soooo past my bedtime. So I left so I could free the kids from their jails. I got home around 11:15pm and spent some quality time cuddling before bed. I was completely guilt ridden for them being crated so long and let them sleep with me. It was a treat for them and torture for me, but it eased my guilt. :) They don't sleep in the bed with me anymore because I always end up crammed into a 6 inch space and have all of these feet pushing into places they shouldn't be. While that's completely normal, I found it made me really cranky from being woken up a million times, poked, and prodded. They decided they didn't like cranky Mom and jumped into the crate when I would start swearing. Now, it works out for all of us. :)

Since they did sleep with me last night, I didn't get any solid sleep and I'm exhausted. It was still worth it to ease my guilt, but now the guilt is gone and they're sleeping in their own beds tonight. :)


No comments: